The new falcon herald logo.
News Briefs

Recreational, toy and off-highway vehicles

The last few years have seen a rise in the development and use of off-highway vehicles, “toy” vehicles and motor-driven vehicles. Some of these vehicles are legal to use on public streets and highways, and some are legal only on forest service, bureau of land management and state park roadways. Some are illegal on any public roadways.It can get quite confusing and the use of the wrong vehicle can result in the issuance of citations. The misuse of these vehicles on public roadways is illegal, dangerous and potentially deadly.Motor-driven cycles, which include some seated scooters, mo-peds, road scooters without pedals and the Segway are street legal and are required to have a Colorado registration sticker, which costs $5. You are required to have a valid driver’s license.Off-highway vehicles, such as ATVs, are not legal on streets and highways but may be used – with the purchase of an appropriate permit – on public roadways in the national forest, the state parks and blm areas. Dirt bikes 90 cc and larger may also be operated on forest service roads, state parks and blm areas, under the same permit requirements. However, a dirt bike that is “dual sport” or properly equipped with the required muffler and safety equipment, such as lights, signals and horn, may be operated on public highways and streets if properly licensed and insured and the driver is licensed with a motorcycle endorsement.Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S.) 42-1-102 (103.5) defines a “toy” vehicle as any vehicle, whether home built by the user, that has wheels with an outside diameter of not more than 14 inches and is not designed, approved or intended for use on public roadways or highways. “Toy” vehicles include but are not limited to gas or electric powered vehicles commonly known as mini bikes, pocket bikes, kamikaze boards, go-peds, stand up scooters and scream trikes.According to C.R.S. 42-4-109 (9), it is unlawful for any person on a toy vehicle or similar device to go on any roadway except while crossing a highway via a crosswalk, and when so crossing such person shall be granted all the rights and shall be subject to all duties that are applicable to pedestrians. In other words, don’t ride a “toy” vehicle on a street or roadway.For additional information, see ToysonRoadways.doc.

StratusIQ Fiber Internet Falcon Advertisement

Current Weather

Weather Cams by StratusIQ

Search Advertisers