Check Out Our Advertisers!
     None  Accounting/Bookkeeping
     None  Animal Care
     None  Antiques & Collectibles
     None  Art Galleries
     None  Attorney - Lawyer
     None  Auction
     None  Auto
     None  Aviation
     None  Banks and Credit Unions
     None  Beauty Salon
     None  Campground
     None  Carpet Cleaning
     None  Chamber of Commerce
     None  Child Care
     None  Chiropractic Care
     None  Churches
     None  Computer Services
     None  Dry Cleaning
     None  Duct Cleaning
     None  Electric utility
     None  Equine Services
     None  Excavating
     None  Eye Care
     None  Feed Stores
     None  Field Mowing
     None  Financial Services
     None  Fireplace Sales/Service
     None  Flooring
     None  Food Products
     None  Foundation Repair
     None  Funeral Home
     None  Garage Doors
     None  General Contractor
     None  Health Care Facilities and Services
     None  Heating and Cooling
     None  Heavy Equipment Rental
     None  Heavy Equipment Sales
     None  House Cleaning
     None  Insurance
     None  Internet Service
     None  Jeweler
     None  Knitting and Sewing
     None  Liquor Stores
     None  Mortgage
     None  Orthodontist
     None  Painting - Interior/Exterior
     None  Pet Grooming
     None  Pet Sitter
     None  Plumbing
     None  Pole Barns
     None  Portable Buildings
     None  Propane
     None  Real Estate Services
     None  Restaurants
     None  Schools
     None  Senior Citizen's Services
     None  Senior Citizens Services
     None  Septic Services
     None  Sheds, Outbuildings
     None  Shipping Services
     None  Specialty/Gifts
     None  Tires
     None  Trash Service
     None  Upholstery
     None  Veterinarian
     None  Web Design
     None  Welding
     None  Windows and Doors
     None  Windshield Repair

"New Year’s Eve, where auld acquaintance be forgot. Unless, of course, those tests come back positive."
– Jay Leno  
Contact Us | Advertise | Classified Ad | News Stands | Subscribe  

  Volume No. 18 Issue No. 1 January 2021  

None Book Review   None Community Calendar   None Did You Know?   None FFPD News  
None From the Publisher   None Health and Wellness   None Marks Meanderings   None Monkey Business  
None News From D 49   None People on the Plains   None Pet Adoption Corner   None Pet Care  
None Phun Photos   None Prairie Life   None Rumors   None Wildlife Matters  
Front Page   |   Feature Stories   |   Search This Issue   |   Log In

Dr. Robert Hutchison

  Stuff the turkey, not the dog
  By Dr. Robert Hutchison

   As we prepare ourselves for the upcoming Thanksgiving season, I’d like to tell you a different kind of holiday origin story. No, I don’t mean the story of the Native American tribe teaching the settlers how to produce food in the “new” continent, nor the feast that they shared thereafter, marking the first American Thanksgiving. I’m referring to the lesser known tale of how a well-meaning pilgrim sent Squanto’s dog into digestive distress that evening in a misguided attempt to share the feast.
   The first error of the night was when the dog was given a cooked pork leg bone. Everyone knows that dogs like bones, but many bones are bad for our dogs. Cooked bones have the tendency to splinter badly when dogs chew them. Those shards can damage the sensitive lining of the mouth, esophagus, stomach and intestines. This is especially true of pork and poultry bones. Large chunks of swallowed bone can create serious and even life-threatening blockages to the digestive tract. If you’re set on treating your dog to a bone this holiday season, stick to raw beef bones and make sure the bones are too large to swallow. Often times, the meat counter of your local grocery store will sell them to you without any of the preservatives or additives that sometimes come with the packaged variety found in the pet aisle.
   The next wrong turn that evening took place when that “lucky” dog got to clean up all the leftover fat trimmings. While delicious, this high-fat meal caused a chemical chain reaction that traveled like a lit fuse from his gut right to his pancreas. The pancreas is an organ that lies adjacent to where the stomach meets the intestines, and has an essential role to play in the digestion of food. It produces and stores chemicals called enzymes. When activated, these enzymes assist in breaking down the food that has passed through the stomach into simple nutrients, which can be absorbed through the intestines. This is a highly regulated process, designed to prevent those enzymes from digesting the body’s own organs instead of the meal.
   Eating a meal that is too rich or too fatty runs the risk of overwhelming that regulatory process and can lead to a dangerous and painful condition known as pancreatitis. This condition often results in vomiting and diarrhea and intense abdominal pain; and, if left untreated, can even be life threatening. When it comes to feeding table scraps, less is more. It’s also worth noting that while hunting or sporting dogs may seem to have an iron stomach, many of our smaller breeds are much more susceptible to this disease. While it’s nice to share, it’s also best to use discretion to avoid a very uncomfortable dog or a hefty vet bill.
   The final straw of the evening was when the dog stole a freshly baked minced meat and onion pie off the table. Although harmless to the feasting humans, that pie was chock full of onion, garlic and raisins, all of which are toxic to dogs. Most people have no idea that Allium family plants, which include onions, garlic, leeks, chives, shallots and scallions, all contain a chemical compound harmful to the red blood cells of our dogs and cats. Grapes and raisins can be lethally toxic to the kidneys even in small doses. For our poor historical dog, the one saving grace of the evening was that the pilgrims had yet to discover chocolate. Not that you need a reminder, but the warnings against mixing dogs and chocolate weren’t quite so widespread during the Mayflower’s time. After-dinner drinks or party favors should also be restricted to human usage only. Like chocolate, dogs lack the mechanisms to clear alcohol or THC from their bodies in an efficient manner, which can result in physiological distress.
   Our poor dog survived that first Thanksgiving celebration, but not without a significant amount of gastrointestinal distress. But our dogs shouldn’t have to suffer the same fate. Whether you’re hosting a large group or just trying to get through a dinner with the in-laws, it’s important to remember and to remind your guests that not everything on the dinner table is appropriate to share with the household animals. So let’s raise our glasses to yet another year where the only inflammatory things coming from our Thanksgiving dinner table are religion, sports and politics, and look forward to a continued holiday season of happy and healthy pets.

   Dr. Rob Hutchison is a veterinarian with Home With Dignity, a hospice and end-of-life practice in Colorado Springs. He has special training as a pathologist, and his wife is also a veterinarian and certified in rehabilitation.
Facebook print this page      

  © 2004-2021 The New Falcon Herald. All rights reserved. About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | News Stands | Privacy Policy