Check Out Our Advertisers!
     None  Accounting/Bookkeeping
     None  Animal Care
     None  Antiques & Collectibles
     None  Art Galleries
     None  Attorney - Lawyer
     None  Auction
     None  Auto
     None  Aviation
     None  Banks and Credit Unions
     None  Beauty Salon
     None  Campground
     None  Carpet Cleaning
     None  Chamber of Commerce
     None  Child Care
     None  Chiropractic Care
     None  Churches
     None  Computer Services
     None  Dry Cleaning
     None  Duct Cleaning
     None  Electric utility
     None  Equine Services
     None  Excavating
     None  Eye Care
     None  Feed Stores
     None  Field Mowing
     None  Financial Services
     None  Fireplace Sales/Service
     None  Flooring
     None  Food Products
     None  Foundation Repair
     None  Funeral Home
     None  Garage Doors
     None  General Contractor
     None  Health Care Facilities and Services
     None  Heating and Cooling
     None  Heavy Equipment Rental
     None  Heavy Equipment Sales
     None  House Cleaning
     None  Insurance
     None  Internet Service
     None  Jeweler
     None  Knitting and Sewing
     None  Liquor Stores
     None  Mortgage
     None  Orthodontist
     None  Painting - Interior/Exterior
     None  Pet Grooming
     None  Pet Sitter
     None  Plumbing
     None  Pole Barns
     None  Portable Buildings
     None  Propane
     None  Real Estate Services
     None  Restaurants
     None  Schools
     None  Senior Citizen's Services
     None  Senior Citizens Services
     None  Septic Services
     None  Sheds, Outbuildings
     None  Shipping Services
     None  Specialty/Gifts
     None  Tires
     None  Trash Service
     None  Upholstery
     None  Veterinarian
     None  Web Design
     None  Welding
     None  Windows and Doors
     None  Windshield Repair

"New Year’s Eve, where auld acquaintance be forgot. Unless, of course, those tests come back positive."
– Jay Leno  
Contact Us | Advertise | Classified Ad | News Stands | Subscribe  

  Volume No. 18 Issue No. 1 January 2021  

None Book Review   None Community Calendar   None Did You Know?   None FFPD News  
None From the Publisher   None Health and Wellness   None Marks Meanderings   None Monkey Business  
None News From D 49   None People on the Plains   None Pet Adoption Corner   None Pet Care  
None Phun Photos   None Prairie Life   None Rumors   None Wildlife Matters  
Front Page   |   Feature Stories   |   Search This Issue   |   Log In
  Time to change the clock
  By Robin Widmar

   Ambulance updates
   The Falcon Fire Protection District has hired five paramedics who will also be cross-trained in basic firefighting skills. Their scheduled start date was Oct. 27. See more information in the FFPD board meeting writeup by Pete Gawda.
   Fire engine update
   In mid-October, FFPD staff members were at Rosenbauer General conducting the final inspection for the district’s newest fire engine. This is the last purchase in a three-year apparatus replacement plan, which replaces two aging engines; a new engine was added to the fleet when Station 4 opened in May 2017.
   Change the clock, change the battery
   Daylight saving time ends at 2 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 3. That means it is time to change the clocks again, but it is also a good time to change the batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. Once batteries have been replaced, test all alarms to make sure they operate properly. Then set a reminder to test the alarms every month.
   While the alarm is off of its bracket, take a look at the manufacture date. Smoke and CO alarm sensors degrade over time, so alarms must be replaced periodically. Replace smoke alarms older than 10 years, and CO alarms older than seven years. (Old alarms can be taken to the El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility for disposal.)
   Stay connected with the Falcon Fire Protection District
   Facebook: Falcon Fire Department
   Twitter: @FalconFireDept
Facebook print this page      

  Safety Tip
  Holiday cooking safety tips
  By Robin Widmar

   According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the No. 1 cause of home fires and home injuries. Not surprisingly, Thanksgiving is the peak day for home-cooking fires. Hosting a holiday dinner can be stressful, and cooks can easily be distracted by family and friends.
   Here are 10 helpful tips to keep Thanksgiving memorable for all the right reasons.
  • Stay alert! Don’t use the stove or stovetop while sleepy or after consuming alcohol.
  • Stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling, boiling or broiling food.
  • Check food regularly when simmering, baking or roasting. Set a timer as a reminder that food is cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire –- oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains –- away from the stovetop.
  • While cooking, keep a lid nearby to smother small grease fires by sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the stovetop and leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
  • Never throw water on a grease fire. Water will only spread the fire.
  • For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
  • Keep pot handles turned inward on the stove to prevent accidents.
  • Create a three-foot “child-free zone” around the stove and barbecue to prevent burns and scalds.
  • Loose clothing or long sleeves can catch fire, so opt for short sleeves or snug-fitting clothing while cooking.
Facebook print this page      

  © 2004-2021 The New Falcon Herald. All rights reserved. About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | News Stands | Privacy Policy