Check Out Our Advertisers!
     None  Accounting/Bookkeeping
     None  Attorney - Lawyer
     None  Auto
     None  Aviation
     None  Banks and Credit Unions
     None  Carpet Cleaning
     None  Chamber of Commerce
     None  Child Care
     None  Chiropractic Care
     None  Churches
     None  Coffee Shops
     None  Computer Services
     None  Dry Cleaning
     None  Electric utility
     None  Equine Services
     None  Errand Services
     None  Excavating
     None  Eye Care
     None  Feed Stores
     None  Field Mowing
     None  Financial Services
     None  Fitness
     None  Flooring
     None  Food Products
     None  Funeral Home
     None  Garage Doors
     None  Gun Accessories
     None  Hair/Nail Care and Cosmetics
     None  Health Care Facilities and Services
     None  Heating and Cooling
     None  Home Maintenance
     None  House Cleaning
     None  Insulation
     None  Insurance
     None  Internet Service
     None  Jewelry
     None  Knitting and Sewing
     None  Landscaping
     None  Mortgage
     None  Orthodontist
     None  Painting - Interior/Exterior
     None  Paving/Asphalt
     None  Pet Grooming
     None  Pet Sitter
     None  Plumbing
     None  Portable Buildings
     None  Propane Delivery
     None  Propane
     None  Property Management
     None  RV Sales and Service
     None  Racing - Cars
     None  Real Estate Services
     None  Restaurants
     None  Roofing
     None  Schools
     None  Senior Citizen's Services
     None  Senior Citizens Services
     None  Septic Services
     None  Sheds, Outbuildings
     None  Shipping Services
     None  Small Engine Repair
     None  Specialty/Gifts
     None  Storage
     None  Tax Preparation
     None  Tires
     None  Tractor, Trailer and RV Sales
     None  Upholstery
     None  Veterinarian
     None  Welding
     None  Window Replacement
     None  Windshield Repair
     None  Winery
     None  Woodworking


 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
– George Washington  
Contact Us | Advertise | Classified Ad | News Stands | Subscribe  

  Volume No. 16 Issue No. 5 May 2019  

None
None Black Forest News   None Book Review   None Business Briefs   None Community Calendar  
None Community Photos   None Did You Know?   None FFPD Column   None FFPD News  
None From the Publisher   None Health and Wellness   None Letters to the Editor   None Marks Meanderings  
None Monkey Business   None News From D 49   None People on the Plains   None Pet Care  
None Phun Photos   None Prairie Life   None Rumors  
None
Front Page   |   Feature Stories   |   Search This Issue   |   Log In
None
 
  Body armor, ice rescue & CO warnings
  By Robin Widmar

   EDITOR’S NOTE: The FFPD meeting wrap up will return next month. The February meeting took place after the NFH deadline, and we did not have an NFH writer at the meeting.
 
   Shield616 presents body armor to Falcon firefighters
   On Feb. 4, the Falcon Fire Protection District received its first set of rifle-rated body armor from the Shield616 organization. The staff at Rock Solid Chiropractic in Falcon raised funds to purchase the gear and then presented it to the FFPD.
   
   The armor consists of a plate carrier vest that holds two lightweight rifle-rated plates, a ballistic helmet and an individual gunshot wound trauma kit. The gear costs about $3,000 to $3,500 per set, and it must be replaced every five years. The goal of Shield616 is to outfit all law enforcement and fire personnel with this life-saving equipment.
   
   To learn more about Shield616 and its mission to protect first responders, visit https://www.shield616.org/
   
   Ice rescue training
   Ice rescues do not occur often in the Falcon area; but, when they do, firefighters must be ready to respond. Every year, Falcon firefighters complete ice rescue classes that include both lecture and hands-on experience. The training allows new personnel to learn critical rescue skills while providing an opportunity for senior personnel to refresh their own skills and share their expertise. This year, firefighters went to a pond in the Black Forest Reserve to practice various ice rescue techniques, including self-rescue and rescuing another person. They used the same dry suits and equipment they will use in an actual rescue, which helps ensure familiarity with the gear.
   
   Firefighters want to remind residents that ice in El Paso County is typically not safe enough to walk on, even during the coldest winter months. For their safety, people should stay off iced-over ponds and lakes and teach their children to do the same. When walking pets near frozen water, keep them leashed so they do not go onto the ice.
   
   Properly working vents and carbon monoxide alarms
   Falcon firefighters have responded to several incidents this winter where properly working alarms alerted occupants to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in their homes.
   
   Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas often called the silent or invisible killer. It is produced when fuels like gasoline, natural gas, propane and wood do not burn completely. Home heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of CO. Carbon monoxide incidents are typically more common during the winter months when houses are closed up tight against cold temperatures.
   
   Recent local news reports highlighted the dangers posed by damaged appliance and furnace vents on roofs. Last year’s destructive hailstorms caused millions of dollars in damage, but in some cases they caused severe damage to rooftop exhaust vents. Consequently, carbon monoxide and other exhaust gases built up in the structures.
   
   If a home has sustained hail damage, have a licensed professional inspect and repair any damaged vents or piping. The Angie’s List website also recommends having all vents inspected following roof replacement or repair because sometimes vents are not reinstalled correctly.
   
   Vents for appliances and furnaces, as well as chimneys for fireplaces or wood stoves, must meet building and fire safety codes. They should be installed by licensed professionals, but then it is the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure they are kept in good working order. That includes making sure vents are not blocked by snow or storm debris.
   
   As always, the first line of defense against a carbon monoxide emergency is a working alarm. Change the batteries at least once a year, and replace any carbon monoxide alarms older than seven years or when recommended by the manufacturer. (Look for the manufacture date and/or expiration date on the back of the alarm.) Sensors lose sensitivity over time, so it is important that all alarms be replaced when recommended.
   
   Stay connected with the Falcon Fire Protection District
   Website: http://www.falconfirepd.org
   Facebook: Falcon Fire Department
   Twitter: @FalconFireDept
   NextDoor.com
  
Falcon Fire Protection District firefighters went to a pond in the Black Forest Reserve to practice various ice rescue techniques, including self-rescue and rescuing another person. Photo by Robin Widmar
 
Facebook print this page      

  Safety Tip - Dryer hazards
  By Robin Widmar

   According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported every year. These fires result in property loss totaling $35 million annually and cause injuries and even deaths. The leading cause of clothes dryer fires (34 percent) is failure to clean them. Home clothes dryer fires occur more in the fall and winter months.
   
   Lint is a highly combustible material that can accumulate both in the dryer and in its vent duct work. Accumulated lint leads to reduced airflow, meaning the vent cannot properly exhaust to the outside. This creates overheating and can cause lint to ignite.
   
   Here are 10 tips to prevent dryer fires.
  • Do not use the dryer without a lint filter. Clean lint filters every time the dryer is used.
  • Clean dryer vent ductwork at least once a year.
  • Regularly clean the back of the dryer where lint can build up.
  • Inspect the dryer’s venting system to ensure it is not damaged, crushed or restricted.
  • Dryer vents should exhaust directly to the outside, not into attics or other areas of the home.
  • Ensure the outdoor vent covering opens properly when the dryer is operating.
  • Have a qualified service technician periodically clean and service the dryer’s interior and venting system, especially if it is taking longer than normal for clothes to dry.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use, and don’t overload the dryer.
  • Gas dryers should be inspected by a qualified professional to make sure the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
  • Turn the dryer off before leaving the home or going to bed.

   
   Sources: U.S. Fire Administration, National Fire Protection Association
  
Facebook print this page      


  © 2004-2019 The New Falcon Herald. All rights reserved. About | Contact | Advertise | News Stands | Privacy Policy